I’ve been working a lot lately on building C-Life Adventures, my scuba business & it’s been both fun and frustrating all at the same time. It’s no wonder that Duane Johnson wrote Independent Scuba Instructors: Your Days Are Numbered. http://tiny.cc/typj6 It can indeed be frustrating trying to build a business in spite of having no location and not a lot of money. However, it’s not really that hard to overcome the gear issues that exist & I’ve found most people want to be treated fairly. In other words, it's not a shop per say they look for but rather, they want to learn from someone who will care about them & help them achieve their goals. That I can do!
Now to the real point . . . the tagline above.
We were sitting around the other day at Logos Promote (this is where my logo was created) & were brainstorming over how to entice people to want what I have to offer. The discussion got started because I have a truck that needs more than the magnets that I have on the doors.
The owner of the shop Gerard Hynes said something that had somehow eluded me. “What will get the person who sees your advertising think when he reads it, IF he reads it?” For the life of me, this should have been what I was thinking. That is after all a big part of the questions I ask every business guy I see when it comes to his or her identity. What will people see? What will they think? What will entice them to buy? What will entice them to follow me on Twitter or Facebook; go to my website or better yet call the number listed on the ad?
I don’t know if it’s sad or brilliant but it took me a couple of days to come up with a list of possibilities. Some were funny; others were just plain corny or stupid. After a lengthy talk with my wife Cheryl, the list got narrowed to 4 taglines that might work.
The next day, Gerard & I narrowed the list to the one that starts this post. “Immerse yourself in fun … learn to scuba dive.” That is after all what most of us get out of diving.
Enjoyment for the pure sake of enjoyment. We get to marvel at the beauty & bask in the tranquility. We get to make new friends. We get to play with new toys (scuba divers call these toys, gear, but don’t tell anyone). We get to go on boats & trips around the world. We get to explore “strange new worlds”. Fun really does sum it up for me & for most of the divers I know.
After all, you just never know what you might meet along the way.

Can anyone say "Cheese"?
Give us a smile: The lemon shark gives a grin and picks up a Best Photography award for photographer Bruce Yates.Showing a close-up of a lemon shark's face on the surface at sunset, it was recently selected from more than 20,000 photos as winner of the Oceans division of the international Nature's Best Photography 2008 Windland Smith Rice Awards.(Photo Source: chinanews.com.cn)
No comments:
Post a Comment