There is an expression that comes to
mind when I think about the days in which we find ourselves … “may
you live in interesting times”. Some have attributed it to an old
Chinese curse and suggest that when things are not normal or don't
fall into line with tradition or custom, then your life is cursed.
On the other hand, there are some who would see this as living in times when stuff gets stirred up and culture is on the
brink of incredible and perhaps awesome change, where in fact we could say we are living life to the fullest. The
former want us to return to simpler times when everyone fell into
prescribed patterns and associations, while the latter want to see new
patterns emerge and old associations fall into obscurity. Think about the “stuff” that has permeated our lives these last
few months...
The determination by the courts that 2
men or 2 women could by all rights granted by the highest court in
the land, get married and benefit in all the rights and privileges
thereof. There goes centuries of tradition and law.
Then of course we have the Caitlyn
Jenner saga which has been pushed into our lives by some of the most
trashy & self-obsessed humans to ever walk the planet. Why should I care that a man, no matter how famous, wants to remove his
genitalia and live as a woman? It wasn't that long ago that Renee
Richards really broke that barrier when she took the same step in an
era when gender identity wasn't even talked about in hushed tones or in
back alleys. From the media hysteria, you would almost think that the
Jenner clan was making history.
And of course, we can hardly speak of
interesting stuff without considering the confederate battle flag
controversy which has surfaced over these last few weeks. Does it
really surprise anyone that this symbol or any symbol for that
matter, might offend someone? While I really don't care about this
particular symbol or a lot of other symbols for that matter, symbols have been
honored or decried as evil for generations.
I am sure that our early battle flags
were hated by the British when they saw them flying in the days of
revolution. The swastika was a symbol to the Nazis of their
superiority and racial purity. And while it is still adored by a few adherents, for most the symbol stirs up hatred on a level that
is hard to describe. Then there is the Star of David adopted as a sacred
symbol of the Jews in their determination to be united as one people. Yet the
flag and people it represents brings abject hatred from some, especially segments of the
Muslim community.
And of course, there is the symbol of the cross that has been adopted by followers of Christ to show reverence for Jesus, who was nailed to a cross and who Christ followers believe died in order to bring eternal life. And yet, there are tons of people who are offended every day by the very idea that the church exists.
So what's a body to do? Well, I'm not so sure about anyone else but I've made up my mind how this stuff impacts me and how I will respond.
And of course, there is the symbol of the cross that has been adopted by followers of Christ to show reverence for Jesus, who was nailed to a cross and who Christ followers believe died in order to bring eternal life. And yet, there are tons of people who are offended every day by the very idea that the church exists.
So what's a body to do? Well, I'm not so sure about anyone else but I've made up my mind how this stuff impacts me and how I will respond.
First, I don't worry about how those
who are different from me look at me or what I believe. I also don't worry at all about those who think
differently than I do. I am by confession and
practice a man who loves Jesus and who wants to see Him glorified in
my life and in my living. I want to do all that I can to please
Him and make Him proud of me as I become a better man, a better
husband, a better father (and now grandfather) and a better citizen
of the world in which I live. One of my life goals is to make the world a
better place where I can . . . and . . . when I can.
Second, I never expect a person to
behave in a manner that falls in line with my faith system. Let me put this
bluntly … I don't expect the non-Christian to behave like a
Christian! Nor to I expect a child to behave like a
perfectly mannered senior citizen. People who do not hold to my
worldview can not be held to a standard to which they neither
subscribe nor desire to live. I expect the world to behave like the
world, whatever that means. It really bothers me when people get so
vexed over the perceived bad behavior of people who simply live by a
different set of rules. It's a lot like a dove expecting a scorpion
to behave like a dove and then getting upset when it just doesn't do
it.
Third, I have always believed that when
any side in an argument lowers itself to name-calling for some effect or control, they have lost the battle and perhaps even the
war. Until we can change the hearts of people, they will continue to
live in a way that may, very well be destructive. Last I heard,
people have every right to be destroy themselves. We have a
saying around my office, “if only we could make people do what was
in their best interests”.
None of this means that I don't care.
In fact, the truth is just the opposite. I care deeply that our
country seems to be headed down a very ugly road. We have
lowered the standards of morality to the place where not only does
anything go, but we promote some of the ugliest stuff possible 24
hours a day on TV, radio and in magazines and newspapers. We are losing a war on freedom of expression and freedom to offend. Yet it is not the government that strips us of those
freedoms, but rather political correctness run a muck. We have grown
to the place where a small minority are willing to do just about anything to control my thoughts
rather than just my behavior. In my mind, this is perhaps the
greatest sadness of all. How else do you explain that we now have laws that govern
“hate” crimes.
Please don't paint me with the
brush of not caring. Rather hear me as the voice of a radical who
calls everyone to a higher life of caring and love. If a brother
offends you, go and make it right with hiim before you offer your gift on the
altar. Stop looking for things that offend you. Look past the junk
and see the person on the other side of it as a human being and treat
them as you would want to be treated. Stop getting all worked up by
stuff that's out of your control. Work to make a difference in your world. With enough effort directed at changing the hearts of enough people, change can be had without one vote being taken in congress.
Years ago I wrote an article that sadly spoke of a world running down a slippery slope of ugly in our country. I said
it then and it's still true, that it becomes harder and harder to stem
the tide of the destruction of so much of what we hold dear. That
idea is more true today than it was then. Yet, until each one of us
seeks to make the world a better place by being better humans and better believers, that
will not happen. As I see it, whether curse or blessing, we do
indeed live in interesting times.
No comments:
Post a Comment